Telford & Wrekin Council (for Shropshire page down)

Emergency Welfare Crisis Assistance

Call 01952 380400

Gas and Electricity vouchers are awarded by Telford and Wrekin Council. Telford Crisis Support does not issue or supply cash, vouchers, or any financial reward.

Short-term Advances – people who encounter a period of financial need whilst waiting for their first benefit payment or following a change of circumstances can apply for an advance of funds that is then repaid over a short period.

Budgeting Loans/Advances – can help claimants meet essential expenses such as needing to buy items like furniture, household equipment, or the expenses of starting work. This loan is interest-free and repaid out of benefits. To qualify, you must receive benefits for at least six months and meet other requirements set by the DWP.

JobCentre Plus 0800 055 6688.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

A one-off payment of £500 is available to people who claim certain benefits to help towards the immediate costs of having a new baby. People usually qualify if they have no other children unless they’re expecting a multiple birth. Claimants do not have to pay the grant back and it does not affect other benefits or tax credits. To find out more about whether you would be eligible, go to the DWP website or call JobCentre Plus at 0800 055 6688.

Funeral Payments

For people who have a low income and need help to pay for a funeral. To qualify you must receive a means-tested benefit or tax credit, you must have had a family or close relationship with the deceased, and you must apply for the payment within three months of the funeral. For more information visit the DWP website or call their Bereavement Service Helpline on 0845 606 0265.

Discretionary Housing Payment

Available to anyone claiming Housing Benefits, or Housing Costs paid via Universal Credit, who needs help with a shortfall in their rent.  For further information please call 01952 383838.

Energy advice and assistance are also available from

Marches Energy      0800 677 1307        

(TCS can refer to where we identify a clear and urgent need for support)

Citizens Advice Bureau

Main No.                  01952 567193  

Advice Line                        0808 278 7988

Food parcel referral line     01952 567174

National Advice Website:

Water arrears

Do you have Severn Trent Water arrears outstanding that you cannot afford to pay back? Please check if you are eligible for help at:

Debt Advice / Benefit Check / Grant Elligibility

Turn2Ud have a comprehensive set of online tools to help you with a range of financial difficulties, questions about benefits and grant eligibility, information at

Money Advice

0800 138 7777 Mon–Fri 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website

Credit Unions

Fairshare CU          01952 200 200        

Just Credit Union     01743 252 325        

MWS Credit Union (for residents of Madeley, Woodside, and Sutton Hill)

Jubilee House, 74 High Street, Madeley, Telford, TF7 5AU  01952 408111


Family Connect.  Telephone: 01952 385385

Adult Option 3 (when prompted)

Child Option 1 (when prompted)

Monday to Friday from 9 am – 5 pm.

Emergency Duty team.

Telephone: 01952 676500. Monday to Sunday after 5 pm.

West Mercia Police. Telephone: 0300 333 3000 or 101.

Shropshire ASG      0345 678 9044 / 9078

Mental Health

Telford Wrekin IAPT  01952 457 415 between 9:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday to arrange a telephone assessment with a practitioner.

Telford MIND

Access service for Adult Mental Health 0300 1240365

Court Street Medical Practice, Court Street, Madeley, TF7 5EE

Telford Mind Listening Support 07434 869248

Workplace Wellbeing Telford

Telford Wrekin ACCESS team 0808 196 4501

Samaritans 116 123

Tenant landlord service

More information is available on the Telford and Wrekin Council website here

Homeless / at risk of becoming homeless

Housing Jigsaw.

Housing Jigsaw
Are going to become homeless within 56 days?
Have been given a valid section 21 notice in respect of their only accommodation, and the notice expires within 56 days?
Have received a valid notice that your landlord requires possession of your accommodation due to rent arrears (known as a Notice of Seeking Possession), and the notice expires within 56 days?
If you are threatened with homelessness and eligible for assistance, we can help prevent your homelessness.

If you are in fear of being evicted and require further advice, please call the TWC Tenancy Relations team at 01952 381877 or 01952 381875

Housing Solutions Team 01952 381925

Stay                                  01952 291904

Maninplace                     01952 248248    

Report a rogue landlord at 01952 381808

Social Broadband

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit, and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband.

Carer’s Wellbeing Guide 2023

The Carer’s Wellbeing Guide 2023 is available online, it’s a one-stop guide to the latest information, advice, guidance, and contacts to support carers.

Download here.

Addiction Support Services


Telford Stars provides a free, confidential, and easy-to-access service for anyone needing support for their alcohol or drug use living in Telford and Wrekin – more info here.

12 to 21-year-olds

Free and confidential support for young people aged 12 to 21; more information here.


Foodbank and other welfare support in Shropshire.

Download an information leaflet here

Finding-Furniture-For-Individuals-January-2021.pdf (

Select Your Style

Header Style

Pre Define Colors

Custom Colors